The Nautical School of Maritime Licensing is seeking instructors for our NYC (USS Intrepid Boat House) location. Must have a valid MMC. Call Us for more information 631-226-7300

OUPV Upgrade to Master 25/50/100 GRT


Course Name:
Online Upgrade OUPV to Master 100 GRT
Course Number:
Course Price:
Class Location:
Course Length:
20 hours online
Online Courses:

After your purchase, you will receive an email with directions on how to access the online course, and your userid and password. If, after 2 business days, you have not received this information please contact us at (631) 226-7300

As with all online courses, the final 20-question exams must be proctored. This will be done at the Nautical Schools facilities.

Upon completion, a 20-question examination is proctored anytime Monday through Friday at The Nautical School of Maritime Licensing in Long Island, NY. For further information please call the school at (631) 226-7300.

Please call 631-226-7300

More Information

With a Master license, the scope of your authority as captain increases from a 6-pack level to a Master up to 100 gross tons on "inspected" vessels, carrying more than 6 passengers for hire.

This online Master course is an add-on to the Nautical School's 9-day OUPV (6-Pack) classroom course. If you have not already completed your OUPV class you should first register for our 9-day OUPV classroom course, as it is the first part of earning your Master license.

After you have successfully completed both courses, you can either continue and take the 4-hour Commercial Assistance Towing and/or Auxiliary Sail (for sailors) or just apply for your Master 25, 50 or 100 GRT license.

If you already have your OUPV license then the Upgrade process from OUPV to MASTER is quite straightforward.

NOTE: The sea service requirements for a Master License upgrade is virtually the same as you would need for the OUPV license. You will need 360 days of sea time for an Inland Master or 720 days - showing at least 360 days on Near Coastal Waters - for a Near Coastal endorsement. The tonnage you will receive depends on the size boat you are claiming time on but at the very least everyone with 360 minimally is eligible for a 25 GRT that can be upgraded later on.

Upon successful completion, a Certificate of Completion/Diploma will be issued that we can submit to the Coast Guard on your behalf along with the rest of your application so that your Master License may be issued.

The tonnage you will receive is determined by your experience.

  • For a 100 gross ton license, you'll need 180 days on a vessel of 51 gross tons or more OR 360 days on a vessel of 34 gross tons or more.
  • For a 50 gross ton license, 180 days must be on a vessel of 26 gross tons or more OR 360 days on a vessel of 17 gross tons or more.
  • At the very least, anyone with 360 totals days of sea service will qualify for a 25 gross ton license.
  • To be a licensed Master, you must be a U.S. citizen of at least 19 years of age.
  • You may self-certify or have someone attest to your time on the water.

The above requirements can be confusing so we invite you to call our friendly staff at the Nautical School at (631) 226-7300 for clarification.