The Nautical School of Maritime Licensing is the #1 Academic Venue for Captain's licenses in the Northeast. Just 2 weekends and 5 nights for an OUPV - We also have a WRITTEN GUARANTEE!

Types of Licenses

Types of Licenses

OUPV (6-pack) Captain’s License

The Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels License allows you to take up to six passengers for hire on uninspected vessels up to 100 gross tons/100 miles offshore. The license will allow you the opportunity to earn money on the water while doing something you love. Please note that Non U.S. Citizens may be restricted to undocumented vessels with a 5 net ton limit.


To obtain an OUPV license, you need to show 360 days’ experience on Inland or Near Coastal waters – this experience can be on your own boat or someone else’s. Of the 360 total days:

  • 90 days must be within the last 3 years
  • 90 days must be on Great Lakes only if you want to obtain a Great Lakes Routing on your license
  • 90 days must be on Near Coastal waters to obtain a Near Coastal Routing

The following is a checklist of everything you need to apply for your OUPV License. The Nautical School will provide all your application forms upon enrollment, FREE of charge.

  • Coast Guard Application Form (CG-719B)
  • Sea Service Form (CG-719S)
  • Physical Examination Report (CG-719K)
  • Drug Test Report (5 Substance SAMSHA – CG-719-P)
  • Social Security Card
  • Proof of Citizenship
  • First Aid/CPR Certification
  • User Fees
  • Training Certificate
Course Locations, Schedule & Fees

Register Online and we’ll pay your OUPV test fee (an $80 savings). You may also register by calling us at 1.631.226.7300.

Masters Upgrade

A 3-day course which upgrades the OUPV and allows you to take an unlimited number of passengers on inspected vehicles. Tonnage limitations, issued in 25-ton increments up to 100 tons, depend on your experience and sea time evaluation. A sailing endorsement also is required for operation of sailboats under this license.

The upgrade process from OUPV to Master is quite simple. You must complete our Upgrade Course consisting of 3 full days, 9 AM to 6 PM. A Certificate of Completion will be issued that you present to the Coast Guard, along with your application papers, so that your Master License may be issued.

Since you already hold an OUPV, sea time already in your file is counted. Sea time before and after your “time on file” is also counted.

If the PHYSICAL that is in your file is more than 36 months old (at the time you apply), you’ll need to have it updated. If the DRUG TEST that is in your USCG file is more than 6 months old (at the time you apply) you’ll need to have it updated.


In addition to the requirements of the OUPV License, the Masters License also requires:

  • 720 total days for a Near Coastal route, with at least 360 of these on Near Coastal waters.
  • A minimum of 180 days on sailing vessels for a sailing endorsement.
Course Locations, Schedule & Fees