This class is strongly recommended for boaters of any age, and of any level of experience who want to keep their skills current and up to date.
A Safe Boating Certificate may be obtained by ANYONE from age 10 and older by completing the 8-hour Safe Boating Course offered weekly at the Nautical School.
The law in New York requires the following people to have a Boater Safety Certificate.
- Anyone who is at least 14 years of age and wishes to operate a personal watercraft (PWC)
- Anyone who is at least 10 years old, but less than 18 years old and wishes to operate a motor boat (not a PWC) without adult supervision.
If you are less than 10 years old you may not operate a motor boat alone. Someone over 18 years old must be on board with you
You don't need to obtain a Boating Safety Certificate if you are:
- a certified NY Safe Boating Course instructor
- a holder of a valid New York State Public Vessel Operators’ license
- a US Power Squadron instructor
- a member of the US Coast Guard Auxiliary
- licensed to operate boats by the US or Canadian Coast Guard
In addition, police officers, peace officers, fire and rescue personnel and lifeguards may operate boats without a boater safety certificate while carrying out their official duties.
In addition to teaching the particulars of handling a PWC, the courses will also be beneficial for any boater wishing to learn more about the rules of the road, reading buoys, boat handling, and other boating safety related topics.
The course is designed as a comprehensive boating and safety course, and is approved by the National Association of Boating Law Administrators. The course requires a minimum of 8 hours of classroom, usually given either on a Saturday 9-5pm or 2 weeknights 6-10pm. Course topics include the following topics:
- Accidents and Emergencies
- Boat Operations
- Boating Related Activities
- Boats and Motors
- Fueling and Ventilation
- Marine Environment
- Numbering and Registration
- Personal Watercraft
- Rules of the Road
- Safe Loading and Powering
WHO:The courses are open to all boaters. You must be a minimum of age 10 to obtain a certificate.
Most classes will be held in the nautical school’s headquarters in Lindenhurst, NY, ask about special scheduling available for clubs and organizations
The cost of this course is $50 or free, depending on location